It was my birthday the other day, and I wanted to make something sweet to celebrate! I knew I would have cake at my family gathering, so I decided to make my favorite oatmeal cookies! Also, since I knew I would be eating poorly for a few days of celebration, I altered the recipe to make them healthier. Just to feel a little better.
- 1 and 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted melted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 and 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 and 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix butter and sugars.
- Add in honey, vanilla and egg to the butter/sugar and beat until combined.
- Gradually add in flour mixture while beating.
- Mix in oats and chocolate chips.
- Form 1 inch dough balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes.
These cookies turn out to be fluffier and thicker than your usual oatmeal cookies, but that’s why I love them! I ended up eating about 10 of them, so obviously that took away from adding a few healthier alternatives, but hey it was my birthday!
For an even healthier cookie recipe I made, go check out my Black Bean Chocolate Chip Cookies!