As I’ve mentioned before (in my homemade salsa blog), Mexican food is my favorite cuisine. For my birthday dinner, I choose Mexican food. For nights when we don’t want to cook and we order out, I choose Mexican food. When I want to splurge and not care about calories, I choose Mexican food (aka all the chips and queso I can eat). So, it’s not surprising that one of the meals I make the most at home is….MEXICAN FOOD.
I bought this Southern Living cookbook just to get some idea for new things to cook for dinner. Naturally, the first thing that inspired me were these Chicken and Blackbean tostadas. I decided to take my own spin on it, but this cookbook has already given me so many amazing ideas for healthy recipes! First up, these tostadas aka Mexican pizzas:
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- whole wheat tortillas
- 1 can black beans
- shredded cheese
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tbs oregano
- 1/2 tbs black pepper
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil
- Boil chicken breasts on medium high for 30 minutes
- Drain chicken and shred with a fork
- Mix in cumin, chili powder, oregano and black pepper
- Put tortillas in oven directly on rack under high broil
- Take out once crisp
- Spread black beans onto tortillas
- Add chicken, cheese, onion, spinach, rice and salsa
- Eat two and don’t feel guilty
Chad doesn’t like black beans, so we added a little extra cheese and salsa to his. The fun thing with this healthy recipe is that you can switch it up and personalize your Mexican pizza! I know there’s no queso, but I’m determined to find a healthy queso recipe for next time!
What is your go to meal?