Fun fact, I’m allergic to bananas. As much as I want to add them to my smoothies or have one for an afternoon snack, I usually decide it’s not worth the throat swelling. Luckily enough, cooking bananas doesn’t cause as much of a reaction, so therefore banana bread all day everyday! Not really, but a girl can dream.
This week Chad mentioned how good banana bread sounded, so I decided to make some healthier banana bread muffins. I tend to choose to make muffins instead of a loaf because the bake time is shorter and apparently I lack patience. This batch only takes 15 minutes to bake and only has a few ingredients, so they’re super easy to whip up for a week of breakfasts. Or a midnight snack. Also, be sure to add dark chocolate chips to half of the batch because dark chocolate makes everything better.
- 3 bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup flour (can substitute with other flour choices)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Optional: 1-2 cups dark chocolate chips
Oven temp: 350 degrees. Bake time: 16 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Mix bananas, egg, honey, sugar and butter in a separate bowl until it is all blended smoothly.
- Slowly add flour mixture into banana mixture while mixing until thickened. Stir in dark chocolate chips if you decided to add them.
- Fill up muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake in oven for 16 minutes or until cooked through. Check with toothpick!
Like I said, not many ingredients and short baking time! The perfect combination. The finished product is so good, your dog will guard the oven. I’m all about healthy sweets, so if you are too don’t forget to try the black bean cookies I made a few weeks ago!